How do you like your watermelon 🍉?
I love to eat the flesh of my watermelon with the rind (the green, hard part of the watermelon).
Why? I have more than one reason.
- I love the crunchiness of the rind.
- I find it filling because it makes me fuller for longer.
- And It’s fiber-rich which aids digestion.
However, there are more reasons why eating the rind of the watermelon is a great idea and should form part of your #healthyeating habit.
Here are some more benefits that I discovered upon research
Other Benefits of Eating Watermelon Rind
- It might help to boost your workouts. If #workingout regularly is part of your routine then you might want to add eating the rind of your watermelon to your eating habit. The amino acid, citrulline, found in foods like watermelon and cucumbers is known to improve exercise performance. Studies have shown that increasing your intake of citrulline may have beneficial effects on your health and exercise performance.
- It could make you better in bed. I first heard about this about two years ago from a close acquaintance that the rind of the watermelons can help men with mild to moderate erectile dysfunction but I never really did any research on the claim. Well, its libido-boosting powers also come from the amino acid citrulline, which is concentrated in the rind.
- It can help reduce blood pressure. Eating watermelon, rind and all, can help reduce blood pressure all thanks to citrulline! Studies have shown that citrulline supplements reduce blood pressure in people with hypertension.
In conclusion, next time you slice into your watermelon, please keep the rind. It’s a delicious way to improve your health.